The International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) Anki Deck will help you quickly learn the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). IPA is a sound alphabet that gives you a symbol for each type of sound found in the English language and therefore provides the foundation to understand how to properly pronounce words in English.
• Easily recognize the IPA symbols in English – It will help you memorize the IPA symbols and give you the basic foundation to pronunciation in English.
• Understand how to go to and from the written IPA and spoken/heard sounds – This deck will help you recognize the IPA symbols and hear them in your head. So if you see a word in IPA for example in a dictionary, you should be able to hear what it sounds like and be able to go from sounds that you hear back to the IPA.
• Be able to compare English to your target language – Understand what English does in terms of pronunciation and to therefore see the differences in other languages. For example, if you see an English word written in IPA and a French word in IPA, it’ll be really clear what the differences are because the vowels will be different or the consonants will be different.
This deck contains 121 cards that cover the following topics:
• Each sound in the English language (50 facts, 100 cards) with a recording, examples of each sound, the IPA symbol, and notes (for the consonants) about Place/Voicing/Manner. Vowels are based on General American pronunciation, though I include the main vowels/diphthongs of Received Pronunciation (“British” English).
• Three utility symbols of the IPA (symbols for long, primary stress, and syllable mark)
• The places used in English (9 of them, with pictures)
• The manners (9 of them, with written descriptions/examples)
If you feel our products don't help your language learning, simply email us within 30 days for a full refund.
Discover more about language learning:
Get The First Chapter of the Fluent Forever Book for Free