Welcome to The Gallery
This is a guide to the flashcards that will teach you your language. This page is designed as a supplement to my book. To that end, I’m going to show you some of the basic flashcard designs for each part of the language learning process, and then show you precisely how to make those flashcards in Anki, using a model flashcard deck that I’ve designed. Here’s a video tutorial for the content on this page, or you can use the step-by-step directions below it:
Anki Tutorial 2: Installing the Model Deck
For those of you who want to install two model decks for two languages, follow this tutorial!
Step 1: Download and install Anki
To install Anki, head over to http://ankisrs.net, click the download button and follow the instructions on that page. Easy.
Step 2: Download and install my model deck
My model deck has five pre-made flashcard templates that are really handy in each phase of the learning process. They’ll save you a lot of time and are pretty quick to install:
- Download it here. If it doesn’t seem to download, but instead dumps a bunch of code all over your browser, try downloading this zip file version and then decompressing it once you download it.
- Doubleclick it. If Anki is installed correctly, it will open up and my deck will install itself. You should see this:
- Get ready for two silly, but necessary steps. First, click on the text “Model Deck”. You’ll see this:
- Then click “Study Now.” You’ll see a flashcard that says “Press the exclamation (!) button to get rid of me the first time I show up!”. Follow the instructions – press the exclamation mark button (five times) to get rid of the example cards.
- When you’re done, click on the “Decks” button on the top left. You’re done. You now have my model flashcards installed, which will make flashcard creation a lot easier.
- (Optional) If you’d like to rename my model deck (To “My French Deck”, for instance), click on the gear button on the right side and select ‘Rename.’ Then type in whatever name you’d like for your new flashcard deck.
Step 3: Start Making Flashcards
Your flashcard needs will vary, depending upon which phase of the learning process you’re at. Here are your options:
- Phase 1: Sounds
- Phase 2: Simple Words
- Phase 3: Abstract words and grammar (Sentences)
Need Help? Check out the “Loading the Model Deck” Forum Topic
If you would like to learn more about the Model Deck, and how to load it, or any issues getting it started, then why not check out the Forum Post about “Loading Model Deck” and “Trouble Loading Model Deck“. You can also ask questions about the Model Deck there, leave a comment or question at the bottom of this Gallery page, or get in touch with us via email at email@example.com.